How Forest School Sessions are Organised
Forest School is an inclusive programme. Our aim is that all children have an opportunity to take part in Forest School during their time at Nursery.
We walk to and from the site which is an important part of the learning process.
Benefits of Forest School Learning
- Children really enjoy their trips to the forest.
- It provides a wonderful opportunity to spend high quality teaching time with a small group of children over a period of weeks.
- The forest provides a quiet relaxing place in which children become more confident with every visit.
- It provides a wonderful natural classroom in which to develop all areas of the curriculum.
- The woodland is exciting for the children we often hear “Wow!” when they enter for the first time.
- Some children are much more motivated to learn in the outdoors.
- The walk to the forest provides a good opportunity to talk about staying safe and hazards. The journey becomes part of the learning experience.
- It provides a really good link with one of our local Primary schools. We are always made to feel very welcome by the staff and children. We often call in to say hello to the reception class.
- The forest provides endless opportunities to promote physical development. It also helps to promote a healthy lifestyle and love of the outdoors no matter the weather!
- We introduce lots of games and activities which require children to work co-operatively. We end each session with group hide and seek games which the children love.
- Children are introduced to the concept of conservation. They are encouraged to respect the woodland and value the natural resources within it.